Friday, June 24, 2011

Happy 4th Birthday!

I'm a little behind with this post. K actually turned 4 a couple of weeks ago. She had a party with her friends from preschool a couple of days before her birthday. She insisted on a Barney cake that day. We had lots of fun playing games, blowing bubbles & making balloon animals.

On K's birthday, we planned a dinner with the family. K had requested a Winnie the Pooh cake this time. My daughters & I attempted our first cake with fondant. I thought it turned out pretty good for our first attempt.




About 1/2 hour before the family was expected to arrive, I looked out the window & saw a huge cloud of black smoke & tall, nasty flames pouring out of our neighbors shop. I yelled at my husband & we ran out the door to help. Thankfully, my parents were visiting, so we had someone to stay with the girls. The fire department had just been called, but where we are out in the country, a volunteer fire department may take 45 minutes to an hour to arrive. We rescued some of the neighbors horses that were trapped in an adjoining pen & then turned our attention to preventing the flames from spreading.  At one point, I phoned my Mom to tell her to get the kids & pets ready to leave as I didn't think we were going to be able to hold the fire back & I wanted them to get out before their escape route was blocked.  Thankfully, the wind died down again, & a number of other neighbors started showing up to help so we were able to hold the fire back until the fire department arrived.

By the  time we got back home, all the family had showed up for the birthday.  The roast was being cut up, the potatoes mashed, veggies steamed & everything was under control.  After a quick shower ( we were black from head to toe!),we rejoined the party.  We had a great time, but it was a birthday we'll never forget! K was so cute as she sang Happy Birthday to herself & loved blowing out the candles. I can't believe that she is 4 already!

No comments:

Post a Comment