Saturday, April 7, 2012

Fighting back against the winter cold & flu season

K is 4 now, & is finally (knock on wood) having a great year with only 2 mild colds that lasted about 4 days each.

For the last couple of years, to prevent or to help K recover from a cold, we have been using probiotics, fish oil, Nutrivene D vitamins on a regular basis, & add extra vitamin C, zinc, echinacea & elderberry when sick.  K has never been hospitalized for her colds, but they just seemed to drag on for most of the winter. This year, the only thing that I did differently, is when she is sick, I have been removing all sugar, wheat & dairy products from her diet.  I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but I am thrilled that she isn't dealing with the constant colds this winter & will continue this if she gets any other colds.

UPDATE - I actually wrote this in early March, & K has had one more cold since then.  It started about 10 days ago, & we were away at a ski race for a few days at the time.  I find it a lot harder to provide a gluten, dairy & sugar free diet when we are packing lunches & eating at restaurants, so she did not have the benefit of a good diet this time - she is still fighting this cold:(  Bad mommy - I will have to try harder next time.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Levi has been having a lot of trouble lately, and I see some things I need to add. I hate that K is feeling bad although it is good proof that the things you are doing DO make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it helped. K actually doesn't seem to be feeling that bad. She is full of energy & only complained one morning that she was sick, but seems to constantly need a Kleenex!

      Delete