Thursday, February 17, 2011

Effective communication

I am thankful that K's speech is getting to the point that she can tell me about past events.  This has been one of the nagging worries I have had since my daughter was very little.  I worried that if something happened to her when a family member wasn't around, she wouldn't be able to tell us what was wrong, or if someone was teasing her she wouldn't be able to tell us, or that she wouldn't be able to tell us enough details if she was sick or hurt, & numerous other things for which speech is so necessary.  Today she got scratched by our cat. It was a minor event, really, but I was so relieved that not only could she tell me that her head hurt, but she was able to say that the cat did it.  This would be such an insignificant thing for me to hear from most 3.5 year olds, but after all of my past worries, it was such a relief to really hear her explain the events that had just unfolded.  She has been doing this for a while, but today she explained so well that it really put my heart at ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment