Thursday, October 11, 2012

31 for 21 - Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop

A while ago, another mom commented on her blog thatso far everything was going quite well with her little one with trisomy 21 & that she was "waiting for the other shoe to drop".
This was my reply:

This sounds so familiar. At first it was medical & health. By the end of the 1st year, & certainly by the 2nd, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief that, besides very minor concerns, we are fortunate that my daughter has been very healthy.

Then my concern turned to fine & gross motor. So far at age 4.5, K is doing quite well with gross motor & rocking fine motor. She is reading well & doing simple math.

I am so grateful to be 4.5 years into this journey & still wondering why people say life with T21 is hard. I'm sure for some people it is, but I think most of us feel like you - It really is a thrill, a joy & a privilege to parent my daughter.

Well,  now I'm over 5 years into this journey & still feel the same way.  It's true, I'm a optimist, a glass half full kind of a gal but still I just don't see that other shoe coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment