Monday, June 25, 2012

We're Experimenting........

 My Mom & Dad came for a visit back in May. My brothers, especially my younger one & I are concious about buying organic & avoiding artificial ingredients in foods.  While my Mom & Dad generally eat a fair amount of whole foods, they are not nearly as fussy as we are............& Dad likes white bread.



They left this loaf of bread behind.



 
It is almost 5 weeks old in this picture, not days, weeks!  It still feels soft & moist - to me, it looks & feels the same as it did when they brought it....................& it has been sitting out on my counter the whole time!  My girls have already stopped complaining that the bread I buy goes bad after 3 or 4 days.


So we are experimenting. We are going to leave it out on the counter, in the bag, at room temperature to see when (& if) it starts to deteriorate.  I'll let you know how it goes!

I find the best way for my kids to really realize how unhealthy things are is for them to see it for themselves.  Even pictures work well in this way.  About 4 years ago, I found a picture of a McDonald's burger that was a  number of years old & only the bun was deteriorating - it still looked edible!  My kids have not eaten one since.  I am hoping that this little experiment will deter them from a few other foods!

2 comments:

  1. What a great teachable moment to capture!!!! And it really makes me want to toss that loaf of Wonderbread (I wonder what's in it) I bought for my hubby.

    Blessings,
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the number of ingredients in Wonder bread - I think it's around 40! That alone is scary to me!

    ReplyDelete