Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spread the Word to End the Word

 Spread The Word To End The Word day was on Wednesday.   I actually wrote this post a while ago, but I have revised it & am posting it again, because it really says what I think about the use of the "R" word.


Why is it considered okay, or even funny to use the "R" word?  How is it a joke to make fun of a group  of people who often can't defend themselves?

As parents, friends, & loved ones of people with developmental delays, we need to stand up for our loved ones.  It is not OK.  Any other group being discriminated against in this way would create such an uproar that the word would fall out of general use. We need to be the voice that stands up for our loved ones.

At the age of 4, my daughter does not understand about the "R" word.  Until she does, I will be her voice.  I have spoken out many times to help people realize why they shouldn't use the "R" word, but today I am putting a promise in writing to my daughter.  I hope you will join me in promising your loved one that you will stand up for them as well.

My promise to my daughter:

I will be outraged for you.

I will be strong enough to stand up & say "You cannot treat my daughter that way!"

I will gently correct our friends & loved ones who don't understand the true implication of their words.

I will explain to strangers why it isn't funny to make fun of those who are often unable to defend themselves.

My precious daughter, when you are old enough to understand the implication of this word, I will help you learn how to stand up for others who don't have a voice.

Love you,

XOXOXO

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment